Tuesday, November 25, 2008

The Graduate

From Mommie:
 
"It finally happened.  

"Last Thursday, we learned that our little boy was officially being skipped ahead to the 1st grade starting this Monday, November 24th.  The school thought that with the shortened week and the shortened days (he only had school on Monday and Tuesday and he got out at 1:40 each day instead of 3:30), it would be a perfect time to introduce Gamble to the full-day 1st grade program.  

"Given that Gamble had developed a lot of anxiety about the full-day program, we thought it best to just let him know that he would be enjoying lunch and recess with his first grade friends today and that he would finish out the day with them, on a sort of trial basis.  So, with anticipation and excitement, he went to school Monday morning, ready to get a hot lunch from the cafeteria and play with his friends.
 
"I picked up Gamble and his two friends, Alex and Tyler, from school today, so I didn't have a chance to ask him how he liked 1st grade.  These friends are in his Kindergarten class and I didn't want to point out to Gamble nor his friends that he wasn't there in class with them today.  So, once we were home, I asked him what he thought and the conversation went something like this:
 
Mommie:  So, Gamble, what did you think of first grade today?

Gamble:  It was great.  I didn't like gym class though because we had to run a lot, and I don't like running.  I got pretty sweaty.

Mommie:  Well, how about lunch?  (Not sure what I was in for, I thought I would change topics to something I thought would be more amiable.)

Gamble:  That was lots of fun.  I got a cheeseburger and... Oh, Mom, I got Chocolate Milk and so I guess no more sweets today.

Mommie:  That's okay Gam...  It's a special day.

Gamble:  Really?  Why?

Mommie:  Well, because we were trying this out to see what you thought.  What do you think?

Gamble:  Mom, I don't need Kindergarten anymore.  I love first grade.  Math was so much fun and we get Science tomorrow and lunch and recess.  It's so much fun Mommie.  Can we do this every day?
 
"With these simple words, all of my hard work, stress, effort and frustrations meant something.  I worked so hard to get him to this day.  In my heart of hearts I knew that this is where he belonged and while the path wasn't easy and there were times that I second-guessed things, I am so glad that we kept on the journey.  Gamble does love it and this is, academically, where Gamble belongs.
 
"I will rest peacefully tonight, but only for a night.

"And then I'll start thinking about the turkey...."

And that, friends and family alike, is that.  It's like a switch flipped in his head, and his behavior has turned around.  He seems lighter in just a couple days.  Happier.  And to hear him say that he's happy with his situation, instead of the things he'd been saying...  Well, that was just music to Mommie's ears.  Music to all our ears.

And for that, we give extra thanks this year.

No comments: