Monday, April 2, 2007

Squeaky Peach Revisited

From the Mommie:

R and I were shopping at Target over the weekend while the boys were at home getting ready for bed. I had some things to return and knew that it was going to be a long night, so I took R with me thinking the car ride and the commotion would help her settle down. It wasn't long after I got to the store, when she started crying. She was HUN-GEE. Oh boy.

Well, I thought, I brought the diaper bag. No problem. I had packed more than enough for K as he had taken her out earlier in the day, and he said that he didn't use much, so I knew that I was in good shape. There were extra clothes, blankets, burp clothes, diapers and formula. Cool! And with that we left.

I neglected to look at the state of the diaper bag before leaving. D'oh! After realizing that I couldn't soothe her without a bottle, I decided to put one together. Ummm, everything is soaked. Oh and the formula that I had has spilled all over the bag and so there was a wet powder all throughout the bag and all over the blankets and burp cloths. Nice. Well, there is a little bit of formula left, I can just add water. So, off to the water section I went with R screaming.

Distracted, I was trying to find the water and get the formula together- right there in the aisle. As I was doing this, I noticed a stock boy looking at me. I thought he was just shocked at my audacity to open up water right there in the aisle and prepare a bottle.

He was in fact very young. Turns out, he was shocked at Random.

After staring at me for a bit, he commented on how she "doesn't cry very well."

Confused, I asked what he meant, given that she was in all-out hysterics by this time. He said that he had never heard a sound out of a baby like that.

Huh? Still not getting it, I asked for an explanation, thinking that he would tell me that he has lived his whole love in a bubble. Turns out, he was referring to her squeaking.

After I realized this, I had to laugh. To anyone that doesn't know her, I could see how this could be shocking. Ha! Love is blind... and apparently deaf!

No comments: