Wednesday, September 10, 2008

He Leaks

Aunt Sam writes in to tell a story about Gamble:

"Forgot to tell you a funny story. Thought you might be amused.

"N might have mentioned, but we stopped off at a produce market yesterday. I grabbed a cart and asked G if he would help me pick out some fruit and vegetables for me and Johnnie.

As always, he was super helpful, immediately running up to the apples asking if we needed some. He picked out some red apples, hot peppers (carefully with the tongs), oranges, and broccoli for me. Noticing that he already has a PhD in produce recognition (geesh), I decided to make it a little more challenging for him.

So I told him to find me some leeks. He looked at me like I was nuts and said 'leeks?'

I grabbed a plastic bag, walked him over to the pile of leeks, and told him to dig in and grab one.
It was a huge pile so he first looked to me for some reassurance before digging in: 'Go head, grab a big leek, I don't have all day.'

So he carefully pulls out the largest leek he could find and proudly holds it up high in the air for me to see. Immediately, a large cascade of dirty cold water runs off the leek, down his arm, and into his little arm pit. He was not amused and started to get upset.

Trying to avoid a possibly bad situation, I had to think fast. So I turned to him and said 'Um...
well, G... that's why they call them leeks. They leak! Get it?'

He burst out laughing.

Ok, so I lied to Gamble. Maybe someday when he gets older you can explain to him that they
are leeks and not leaks!"

Thanks Aunt Sam! Glad you had such a good time with him!

No comments: