Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Uh Oh

Nic went out tonight, so I was flying solo with the kids.  That's almost always a recipe for interesting encounters, since Nicole knows the kids so much better than I do.

Tonight I put Random down.  She didn't seem that tired, but she was getting cranky like she always does on days she's been to day care, so I put her to bed.  She did her normal trick of screaming.  Often she does that, and then Nic goes to her when she calms down and rocks her to sleep.  I thought I'd do the same.

But it wasn't normal.  Usually, Random wails for about five minutes straight, and then cools out.  Tonight, she seemed extra mad.  But there was something else.  In between screams, she'd yell "Uh oh!  Uh oh!"  

It went on like this for about 10 minutes.  Scream!  Uh oh!  Screeeeeaam!  Uh oh!  Uh oh!

Meanwhile, I'd started in with Gamble on his homework, but I had the monitor on.  Eventually, I paused the homework and told him I was going to check in on Pobbes.

I walked into her room, and she was standing up at the rail of her crib, crying.  She pointed at the floor.  "Uh oh!  Uh oh!"  And there on the floor was her blankie.  As part of her little tantrum, she'd thrown her blanket on the floor.  And then realized her mistake.

Uh oh, indeed.

I got her the blanket and rocked her to sleep.  When I put her down, I covered her with that blankie and she fell fast asleep.

It's a beautiful age.  First "no," then "uh oh."  

What's next?

No comments: