Thursday, April 17, 2008

The Question

From Mommie, in the "oh-dear-not-yet" department:

It's 7am and the kids are up early, again. And this Momma wasn't very happy to be up, let alone serving breakfast and talking. I certainly wasn't prepared to get the question. I had served breakfast to Gamble (his usual, waffles with syrup) and was cutting up a waffle for Princess when G starts talking. Usually, I can throw a "hmmm, hmmm" and an "uh huh" at him and buy some time. Not this particular morning.

G: Mommie, where did I come from?

Me (internal dialogue): Oh no, why is he playing games with me? It's only 7 a.m.! Hm. Ok, I've got the answer.

Me (aloud): What do you mean, Gamble? You came from your room.

G: No. Where did I come from?

Me (internal): Oh crap. Here it is. Kevin! This was supposed to be your discussion.

Me (aloud) Um, well... You came from my belly. Is that what you are asking?

G: Yes, Mommie. Can I have a little boy?

Me: No. Only Mommies can have the babies.

G: Well, how do I do that?

Me (internal): (Oh, dear god, it's 7 a.m. and I was not expecting this and so I so do not have an answer prepared to tell him)

Me (aloud): Well, like Daddie, you need to find a girl that you love very much and who you want to be the Mommie of your babies. Then together, you guys will make a baby but she will be the one to carry the baby in her belly until it's able to live on it's own.

A few minutes pass, it was clear that he was thinking about it further. Time to move on.

Me: Now, c'mon. Finish your waffles, we have to get going.

And with that, it was over. Whew. I have a day or so to think about my next set of responses. The time has come folks. Gamble is an enquiring mind, and enquiring minds want to know.

No comments: