Sunday, September 13, 2009

Gamble's First Game

Gamble had his first soccer game today, and I couldn't have been more proud of him.

You know me. I'm not a sports guy. I never watch them on TV, and if I do go see a game, I'm not usually, you know, into it like that. I don't paint my face or my body, and I don't bet.

But someday, however, I may. Watching Gamble play his first game of soccer brought that out in me. He's had two practices, and I'm not even sure he knows all the rules, but yesterday he ran himself sweaty, up and down that field like everyone else.

He got some good kicks in, and he managed to get the ball down the field. A couple years younger than most of the kids on his team, he's the smallest, and he has to work harder to run the same distance, but he did so relentlessly and without complaint.

He even got to put on the goalie shirt and block a few goals. He didn't shy away from the ball as someone kicked it towards him, and maintained very good focus. Pretty awesome for a kid who only a few days prior was doing the soccer equivalent of sitting out in right field, facing the wrong way, eating dirt.

Gamble K. Davis, soccer player. Kevin P. Davis, proud soccer dad.

No comments: